Association of Translation Companies
Word Connection is proud to be an associate member of The Association of Translation Companies (ATC). ATC membership is recognised globally as a mark of quality-managed language services.
Representing the interests of language service providers, the ATC is dedicated to promoting good practice, professional standards, effective management and high-quality translation work. The association provides a powerful voice for industry professionals but is also dedicated to supporting the interests of those who purchase language services.
About the ATC
The ATC was founded in 1976 by leading translation companies. The aim was to drive improved industry standards to better support all exporters of goods and services. Since its formation, the organisation has played a significant role in the advancement of European language services. The association was one of the original developers of the European translation services standard EN 15038. This was a precursor to the international translation services standard ISO 17100.
Extensive research enables the ATC to better understand the needs and challenges of both its members and the businesses they serve. ATC conferences and networking events ensure that members can connect with each other, collaborate and remain abreast of developments in the industry. Training programmes established by the ATC together with the association’s prescribed standards continue to drive best practice while ATC awards encourage excellence.
The objectives of the ATC
Prescribed objectives clearly define the role and ambitions of the ATC. Those objectives are as follows:
- To promote the interests and use of ATC member companies
- To promote the interests of the translation profession as a whole
- To promote, publish and enforce a Code of Professional Conduct for ATC members
- To arbitrate in matters concerning members and clients
- To establish, maintain and promote the adoption of rigorous quality systems
- To protect the interests of those purchasing translation services
- To ensure that ATC members invest in full professional indemnity insurance
- To promote co-operation between members and within the profession as a whole
- To publish information regarding the profession for the benefit of members and translation purchasers
- To promote greater use of professional translations by those seeking to sell or communicate on an international level
ATC Member Services
ATC members are supported by a wide range of services provided by the association as are the individuals, businesses and public bodies that commission translation services. The association provides translation purchasers with detailed information regarding members’ specialities and any assistance they need. It consults with the Government in the UK on matters related to the translation profession, organises conferences, provides training programmes and defines standards.
Membership of the ATC includes affiliation to the European Union of Associations of translation Companies (EUATC). Members of the ATC can also take advantage of the association’s ISO certification service.
What is EUATC?
ISO 17100:2015 Translation Services
ISO 19001 Quality Management
In a new world of choice, how do we decide what to buy? Some people…
EU Legislation delayed due to translation backlog In 1957, Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands…
Found in Translation: Why reading Isn’t Dead – Yet In 1949, George Orwell published his…
Bassussarry, Biarritz and the Basque Country At Word Connection, we are incredibly fortunate to be…
AI translation could be dangerous but also a major benefit We have previously highlighted many…
Introducing Word Score Translation services are now essential to everything from international politics to the…